I try to lead a pretty healthy lifestyle, and it always inspires me to try “healthier” or “different recipes with a twist” on my all favorite foods. With Valentines Day coming up, I thought I would show you my take on a healthy whole-wheat breakfast surprise for your loved one (or even to enjoy yourself!).
Whole-Wheat Heart Shaped Soy Pancakes
*Makes 2 Servings*
– 1 cup whole-wheat flour
– 1 1/2 tablespoons white or brown sugar
– 2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– dash of cinnamon
– 1 cup soy milk
– 1 egg, lightly beaten
– 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
– 1 teaspoon honey
– strawberries and blackberries sliced
– sugar free syrup
– unsalted butter
- In a medium bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon).
- In a small bowl, mix the wet ingredients together (soy milk, egg, oil, honey) and pour the soy mixture into the bowl with the dry mixture and whisk together until smooth.
- Grease pan or skillet and heat over medium-low heat. Pour 1/4 cup of batter and cook until bubbly. Flip with a spatula and cook for another 1 minute until golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter.
* I cut the heart shapes with a knife (without a heart-shaped cutter) but if you want to make it easier, you can purchase heart-shaped cutters at places like Michaels or other baking/craft stores.*
Let me know if you made any additions or changes to the recipe that you think makes it better!
Until next time,